Michael P. Gerard
MSc, PGDipLaw, PGDipBar, FCIOB, MCIArb
Solicitor, Chartered Builder & Registered Adjudicator
Michael is a practising solicitor and specialises in construction & engineering law, contract law and professional negligence.
Michael is dual-qualified as a Chartered Builder and is also an accredited expert in the fields of quantum and planning. Michael has a vast depth of experience in the construction & engineering industries.
His practice area covers both contentious and non-contentious matters for a wide range of clientele including employers, principal & specialist contractors, industry professionals, insolvency practitioners and residential occupiers.
Michael’s procurement experience covers both the public and private sector and includes projects such as schools, hospitals, housing, offices, commercial and retail developments, stadia, airports, military installations, nuclear and more. He also has overseas working experience of northern Europe, the Middle East and Australasia.
Michael is also a practising adjudicator and sits on the adjudicator panels of the Royal Institution of British Architects and Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, where he is regularly nominated as an adjudicator. He also undertakes third party opinion work.
In addition to his experience, Michael has a Master’s Degree in Construction Management and Law, is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He also sits on the professional disciplinary panels of the Royal Institution of British Architects and Chartered Institute of Building. Michael also writes and lectures on various aspects of construction law and the resolution of disputes.
Michael is based in our office in the midlands, but regularly travels nationally and internationally.
- Made a successful application to reinstate a civil claim on behalf of a specialist contractor after the matter had been discontinued.
- The drafting of a complex supplemental agreement between the main contractor client and employer on a 28-unit residential project.
- Successfully resisted a Winding-Up Petition in the High Court on behalf of a specialist contractor.
- Secured a large debt within 21 days of being instructed by a main contractor client against the Architect employer for building works carried out.
- Drafting of a JCT Intermediate Form of Contract on behalf of a retail client for the procurement of a service station.
- Settlement of a loss and expense claim in favour of the specialist civil engineering contractor against a multi-national contractor.
- Referral of a dispute over quantum to adjudication for the main contactor client, and was successful in obtaining 100% of the claim.
Christopher J. Cox, Consultant Solicitor
BA, MSc, MCIArb, Registered Mediator
Chris trained at Berrymans in the City of London during the 1980s before being drawn into banking and insurance dispute work. In 2001 Chris completed a master’s degree at Kings College University in London whilst he was a partner at Shoosmiths, where he became head of construction.
In 2005 Chris worked as an in-house counsel for Lafarge Aggregates Limited, before setting up his own practice which he morphed over the years into an established practice in Northamptonshire.
In 2019 Chris decided to step down and join the specialist construction law practice of Michael Gerard Solicitors as a consultant.
In addition to construction law, Chris continues to maintain his banking insolvency and insurance work and his own work in ADR.
Chris is accredited as a mediator by CEDR, the CIArb, the Law Society and is a founding member of the Association of Midland Mediators. Chris is also a Court of Appeal Panel Mediator and a contributor to his late mentor David Ruweem’s seminal work on construction mediation.
Amelia Gerard, Practice Manager
Amelia has worked in the legal sector for seven years, providing administrative and legal secretarial support for solicitors working within the probate, litigation and property sectors.
In 2013 Amelia completed an A Level in Law as well as Level 3 Debt Recovery and Contract Law modules through ILEX. She then studied with ILEX to become a Legal Secretary in 2015.
Amelia joined Michael Gerard Solicitors in mid-2020 to take up the role of Practice Manager and is an invaluable asset to the company’s development.
Laura Belsom, PA
Laura is Michaels PA. She has extensive knowledge and experience and is a very valuable member of the team.