Specialist construction and engineering law speaker
Are you are looking for a speaker with a wide range of experience in construction, engineering and contract law, who can speak with vast industry knowledge? If so, Michael Gerard of Michael Gerard Solicitors is a perfect fit.
As a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building and a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Michael is well qualified to speak on a range of legal issues appertaining to construction and engineering.
Michael P. Gerard (MSc, PGDipLaw, PGDipBar, FCIOB, MCIArb, MAE)
Michael was called to the Bar in 2006 (Lincolns Inn) and since 2013 has been practicising as a solicitor specialising in construction, engineering and contract law. Michael is also a Chartered Builder and a panel registered adjudicator with the Royal Institute of British Architects and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Michael is the founding partner of Michael Gerard Solicitors, and provides legal services on matters such as pre-action protocol, adjudication and ADR (including mediation and negotiation), and contract drafting / review. Clients include principal and specialist contractors, local authorities industry professionals and employers.
Michael’s experience includes a range of public and private sector projects from schools, hospitals and housing to military and nuclear installations.
Portfolio of work
Michael has been involved in numerous instructions relating to tribunals and case management as well as in excess of 100 adjudications.
Michael regularly has articles published in the media and also lectures on various aspects of construction law including set-off, statutory and contract adjudication, the HGCRA, formulae for (and recovery of), overheads and profit, Romalpa clauses, standard forms of contract, formation of contracts, practical completion, damages for breach of contract, patent and latent defects, limitation of action, damages and penalties for delay, and delay & disruption.
Builder & Engineer
Timber Trades Journal
Possible construction and engineering speaking topics
Michael is amply qualified to speak on all the topics below, as well as taking part or chairing a panel discussing these or other similar subjects:
- Adjudication – statutory and contract
- The Scheme for Construction Contracts (England and Wales) Regulations
- JCT contracts
- Claiming and defending damages for disruption and delay
- Forms of dispute resolution in the construction industry
- Pre-action protocol for construction and engineering disputes
- Construction contracts: getting paid, what happens if there is no written contract, latent and patent defects, delays, termination
- Collateral warranties and PCGs
- The Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 (as amended by the Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act 2009)